Sunday, November 11, 2012

Soup Kitchen Exorcism





Soup Kitchen Exorcism


I dropped a coin in his cup
But his severed limb begged for more
So I handed a bill to his good hand
And received a blessing from the almighty
I asked him where he's going
He answered with a prayer
And pointed to the heavens
As I gave a blank stare
I glanced at the Iraqi stains on his coat
Military soles wore down thin
I pointed in the direction of the mission
Did not move a budge, frown forming
So I asked him why catch your death in this cold
He answered with sly eyes zipping
"They will not take me there!"
He exclaimed as a chortle escaped his lips
Swore he had a holy cross to bear
The God send of a new mission
To purify himself of the blood he spilled
In the war that raged on in his mind
The one that followed him home
You see he claimed he was the messiah
And the soup kitchen cast him out
For casting demons out of the soup
Now he sits alone on Main Street
Cup in hand, grimy grin gleaming
Those who pass him, do so quickly
Must be the drugs that plopped him down here
I checked his one arm, free of track marks
And checked his breath from 13 feet away
Cast aside my doubts and fears and shook his hand
He said, "I like you"
Again with the sly grin
"Will you be my friend?"

Copyright Adam Gaile 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment