Sunday, November 11, 2012

Living Under a Bus




Living Under a Bus


I've seen the greatest minds of my generation fall flat on their faces
Super glued to their couches, eyes sacrificed to TV sets
Looking for a quick escape from the problems that corrode their thoughts

Like a hamster with no feet flopping on the wheel of refuse
There was a time when I fell victim to the slave drive in my mind
Locked away like a prisoner using excrement to complete his works of art
I was dead inside

There are many faces in my life that lack the vibrancy of welcoming voices
I have seen those ashen grey, forlorn faces, turn down in shame
Ashamed for something they were never responsible for...
Ashamed of the very fibrous tissue that dictates the quality of their lives

I've seen the greatest minds of my generation fall under a heavy burden
Of a system that is built on singling out the meek of mind, but strong of heart
And inside me a burning fire is kindled by the rage of countless injustices
At those who are victims of circumstance

There is a war
Between those badgers who covet the most precious trinkets
To stow away in their dens as banners of pride for "safe keeping"
And those who stow away the morsels beneath the underbrush of bureaucracy

We are the paradigm of freedom with contingencies
We are history's forgotten ones
We are the disabled...able to do anything but...
...achieve.

I've seen the greatest minds of my generation weep like children.



(The lines "I've seen the greatest minds of my generation..." was inspired by Alan Ginsberg's poem "Howl")



Copyright Adam Gaile 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment