Thursday, September 27, 2012

Hallwakers and Morning Droolers





Hallwalkers and Morning Droolers

I went to the loony bin and met my dream girl 
There were nurses taking names
Arm bands around wrists
There was a man named Monte 
Sober five days outta his life for the first time
Had the worst day of his life in the mental hospital
Got hepatitis…
Bit off his tongue from an alcohol induced seizure
Bit back the pain, with every bite of that God awful food
His mother died on the third day, girlfriend left on the fourth…
But it was okay
Cause we loved him…had to because we were in that same God damn place
He smiled as we watched the hallwalkers and the morning droolers

I met this crazy-ass chick with the biggest eyes you've ever seen
She taught me how to touch and to break all my OCD’s
We kissed in the mental hospital
Tongue to tongue…sweet as summer rain
Nurse busy with paper work as she wrapped her arm around my head
Fingers through my hair, not a glance or a stare
She was good alright…fireworks in my head
I gave myself to her, and my fears faded as the shivers fled

We sat eating popcorn watching the hallwalkers and stoned screamers
And laughed and giggled at the repeat offenders
Asking in tones of hopelessness when they could go home and see their family...

...500 fucking times a day!

Still we laughed, joked, and played poker 
While the man in ripped blue jeans in the next room was going through withdrawals
He was in Iraq
Blew off foreign appendages with foreign guns
He came back with teeth gone and meth on his breath 
But he left grinning ear to ear, because...
Me and my crazy-ass friends had a ball in the loony bin
Sober as the day, but high for the first time on life

Met a kid named James
Running from some fucked up gang
Had to stay outta Philly, or they were gonna kill his family
In an act of final desperation he tried to end the life his enemies sought
And so he got his sorry ass locked up
We played cards and games, watched TV, and yes we were all insane
But the day we last saw James…
He had a smile on his face
And a new home away from the pain

The voices that brought me there
Were drowned out by the ones who got me here
Typing at this keyboard, instead of rotting in a coffin 
suicide solution)
We raised hell; we pissed off the nurses, doctors unaware

(as usual)

Even the schizos invisible friends were joining in the games
The cutters from arms to razors, to cutting cards, and cutting farts

And god her hair...her hair! 
And those eyes...Superman eyes
Could see through anything...through my pain, my sadness, my loneliness
My frustration, desperation, sorrow, and shame...looked right through me
And she saw my heart, and I swear...
As we sat there watching the hallwalkers and head shrinkers, I held her hand

The nightmares of that ward were replaced by my dream girl

I had the best day of my life in a mental hospital
Cause my disorder became ordered by love.

Copyright Adam Gaile 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment