Wednesday, February 1, 2012

My Eyes




My Eyes

I've jumped through the glass window of a hospital
I've fallen through the gaps of Medicaid
And landed in America's safety net,
But I still hit the ground.
I've been picked up bruised and broken
And my pieces have been glued back together
By a simple humanistic approach
A concept that is becoming alien to all of us
In a word...community was my salvation
My friends I have long searched for this thing called recovery
And deep within my soul I do believe
That we are all capable of it.
We as human beings have this much in common
We all have intrinsic worth and value by our own birthright 
Look into the eyes of an infant and what will you see?
The same eyes in the mirror in front of you?
The same eyes that are staring back at me?
Or perhaps your perception is skewed
Perhaps I'm really disfigured, dirty, and ugly
Is this not also the same face of humanity?
And if we turn away from this face...
Do we not also turn away from our own humility?
And tell me this, O' gaper of bizarre freaks and wonders
Does this fact alone make you squirm and squeal in your seat?
Knowing that the thoughts behind these eyes could topple armies?
Here's my dilemma...and for you a new approach...
What if I had cerebral palsy?
Would that change your opinion of me?
Would your crestfallen words rain down in pity?
If you saw my illness splattered across my body?
Well here's an eye opener for you...
My eyes hide a world of symptoms
That are as catastrophic as an amputated limb.
So please, before you apologize after assuming the worst of me
Consider this...
Would you not have known that without my fantastic gift
Of having the finest wit to write this amazing poetry, 
That I had a mental illness?
Look into my eyes and tell me I'm not sick...
And I'll respond with this...
To wit your ignorance deserves no sympathy. 

Copyright Adam Gaile 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment