Sunday, February 12, 2012

Monsters




Monsters

I wonder if the sock monster who lives inside the clothes dryer ever feels lonely

The chaos he spreads every time he steals one of my socks
Travels farther than you could possibly ever know

And when I come home from the laundromat, a simple shrug of protest is never enough

To appease his desire…to feel the need to gain an ounce of attention


I wonder if we left all these monsters behind when we left the playground

But sometimes I fear these monsters follow us into adulthood
It takes a special kind of mind to be aware of them...and special eyes


I wonder why the monster under my bed wants to bite off my toes

Perhaps he has some freaky foot fetish, or an appetite for toe fungus

Either way I don't much appreciate his brutish behavior when I'm trying to pray at night

Maybe he was weaned off his mother’s monster milk too soon

And now he feels the need to terrorize poor unfortunate kids whose feet dwindle too long over the edge of the bed

This too was a monster I thought I left behind long ago...

But now he unsettles my sleep and in the dark night I tremble


What of the tiny monsters living in tree trunk holes?

The ones I use to search for to befriend me in my loneliest hour

They hide their wrinkly faces and work in their crowded dens

Perhaps they’re really getting drunk and having crazy monster orgies underground

Either way it makes me feel like I'm the only single guy at a make out party

And because of that I have long ago ended my search for these kinds


Perhaps all these monsters follow me into my dreams

But lately I've been seeing their slinking sly grinning eyes on the face of everyone I meet

Maybe it's time I put the pacifier down, curl in my bed, and just fucking sleep

Cause right now I'd rather be a baby cradled in the arms of the monster who raised me

Than to ever face that monster who lives on the other side of the mirror

The one with beady eyes, double chin, thinning hair, and three day old stubble

Is that really my own reflection or is it a doppelganger that has stolen my identity

Shoved it deep down inside a dark hole somewhere in the back of my head where the real me is screaming

Screaming to escape the monster that has imprisoned me...

One of these days I’ll be free…

Copyright Adam Gaile 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment